installing d-link dwl-g510 in fedora core 4--problems

Newbie needs some help here. Have fedora core 4 2. 6. 12-1. 1380_FC3 on a i686 processor. tried to yum the rpm, but there seems to be a mis-match between kernel config and the rpm available at ATrpms collection.

Linux Networking 361 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-30
Newbie needs some help here. Have fedora core 4 2.6.12-1.1380_FC3 on a i686 processor. tried to yum the rpm, but there seems to be a mis-match between kernel config and the rpm available at ATrpms collection. help much appreciated.
rlm

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-11-19
Here is the simple way I got my card Athros chipped card to work in FC4:

1) check the current kernel details in terminal by running "uname -a". Write down what is shown.

2) Go to ATrpm ( http://atrpms.net/dist/fc4/madwifi/) in Firefox 1.07 (or later) and download madwifi-0.9.6.0-18.rhfc4.at.i386.rpm by clicking on the link (I'm not running a 64bit processor). When this is run in the Firefox download manager you get the option to "open with" and in the drop down box "install packages (default)". Hit OK. This will install this rpm. Do this before you proceed to the next step.

3) Now search the ATrpm Fedora driver list ( http://atrpms.net/dist/fc4/madwifi/) and make sure you get the correct rpm to match your kernel details you wrote down in Step 1) above. In my case "uname -a" told me that my kernal is 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4. I do not have a 64bit processor running so I selected this rpm: madwifi-kmdl-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4-0.9.6.0-18.rhfc4.at.i686.rpm. Make sure you click on the "madwifi-kmdl-" rpm that matches both your your processor and kernel.

4) Click on the correct rpm as described in 3) above and Firefox will offer to install it. Click OK.

5) Reboot your computer.

6) Go to Desktop in your FC4 top panel. Select "System settings" then "Network". Type in your root password when asked and you will be taken to graphic menu that will list your network cards. In my case my laptop has an ethernet card and the wireless card. Until I installed Madwifi as described above the wireless card was not listed.

7) The wireless card is now listed under "Devices", in my case under the ethernet card. Check the box to the left next of the wireless card and press the "Activate" button.

8) When you go to leave the network menu you will be asked to save the new settings. Press OK. You're almost there.

9) Your card will still not be working. Restart your computer.

10) Bingo! It works.

I hope this helps others. I'm no geek but *I* got it to work. (With a lot of help from the replies in this thread above).

Regards
John

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-30
OP
OK. Here is what I get when I try to activate ath0:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for ath0...

...and the determine fails. Am I close yet?

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-01
I too am trying to install this same card, I have the H/W version B1 and the F/Ware is 2.11 (apparently supported). I've tryed many ideas, using yum and building source packages and was going to use a few RPM's if I could find the correct one/had all dependencys. Can someone give me a super-laymans terms guide on how-to do this. I'm currently (temporarily) connecting thru an iBook using Connection Sharing (wired)

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-01
Solved, used an above guide that tells to use the i686 and the i386 RPM's, rebooted and it worked

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Good job! Just as an aside, I just installed Linspire 5 on my wife's system, after she got a load of virus infections off a mailing list that she is on. This exact same card worked out of the box using DSL. I forgot that she had this card in her system!

A new Linux convert!

Clearly, the new distro versions that are coming out are making progress with wireless cards.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-02-14
Hey I have a question. I configured my D-link DWL-650 card and it works with ndiswrapper, but it has a problem finding my router. Gives me the error when I enter dmesg:
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
I'm using FC4, the light on the card blinks, the kernels updated, and it's a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router. If someone could help that would be great!

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
That error is common and does not have anything to do with your router. Ignore this for now.

When you say that your kernel is updated, do you mean that you updated the kernel before or after installing ndiswrapper? If after, this will not work. you need to reconfigure ndiswrapper for the new kernel.

If before, is the kernel source installed?

What you look for in dmesg, is if the card is up during boot. You will see an id for the card and some text saying that the card is working.

Do you have ndiswrapper running as a module on boot?

Do you have your essid and wep key (if you have one) configured, so the card can connect to the router?

Taks a look at the ndiswrapper Fedora page for specific instructions.

Also, take a look at my page on the subject.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-02-14
The source is installed and this was before I installed anything. I found out the problem is setting the ESSID
iwconfig wlan0 essid ''
I can connect to my network when using
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:""
Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.412 GHz Cell: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Also I can't get it to boot on startup.

Thanks for helping.

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Good! You found that you needed to set the essid.

Quote:Also I can't get it to boot on startup.  
I found the same thing. Fedora is quirky about this. I had to set a small script file to use to invoke the card and it's settings, as I could not get it to come up at boot. Then, you can make a small icon to bring up the card. It was a hit and miss thing.

See my example here.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-02-14
Ok, I have just one pretty big problem that would be great if someone could fix. When I do
iwlist wlan0 scan
it always shows
No scan results
I read a few things that told me:
either the radio is off or the station you are trying to connect is not broadcasting its SSID.
Not sure how to turn that on or how to do what it's asking me to do. Also found out that is the reason I can't set the ESSID.
Router: AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router
Card: D-Link DWL-650 v.m1