New ISO images (LXQt, MATE, Xfce, KDE, MinimalGUI, and MinimalCLI) of SparkyLinux rolling edition based on Debian GNU/Linux 12 Bookworm (testing) with Kernel 5.18 are now available.
SparkyLinux is a GNU/Linux distribution created on the top of Debian GNU/Linux operating system.
Sparky is fast, lightweight and fully customizable OS which offers a few versions for different users and different tasks, such as:
• fully featured OS with a lightweight desktop environment, which works out of the box and contain a selection of pré installed common use software for home users;
• MinimalGUI with Openbox window manager preinstalled only with basic software installed for users whose want to configure their OS/desktop as they want, on the top of Debian + any desktop environment or window manager they like;
• 3 Special Editions for different tasks:
* GameOver for gamers (Xfce);
* Multimedia for audio, video and html pages creating (Xfce);
* Rescue for fixing broken OS or so (Openbox);
• MinimalCLI with no X server – for last, but not less important in any way, for advanced users whose want to build and configure their desktops in own way;
Sparky supports about 20 desktop environments and window managers giving you freedom of choice, having in mind that your computer is made for working, having fun, entertainment, keeping in touch with friends, and many, many other things.
Changes between Sparky 2022.04 and 2022.07:
– all packages upgraded from Debian & Sparky testing repos as of July 5, 2022
– Linux kernel 5.18.5 (5.18.9 & 5.15.52-LTS in sparky unstable repos)
– Added new packages to iso images: nala, hypnotix, zstd, onboard
– ‘sparky-upgrade’ cli tool uses ‘nala’ instead of ‘apt’ now, if nala is installed
– Python 3.10.4 as default; Python 3.9 has been removed
– Calamares 3.2.60
– Firefox 102.0.1
– Thunderbird 91.10.0
– GRUB 2.06
– VLC 3.0.17
– Openbox 3.6.1
– LXQt 0.16.0
– MATE 1.26.0
– Xfce 4.16
– KDE Plasma 5.24.5
– GRUB 2.06 doesn’t detect other operating systems as default; so added an option to GRUB config: ‘GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false’ do make os-prober working back
– removed Kopete from KDE spin; added KDE Telepathy
– removed Kopete from LXQt spin; added Pidgin
– Onboard virtual keyboard replaced the old package Florence
Fixed bittorrent files, can be used with Transmission now again.
There is a new Sparky community launched on Mastodon.
Hypnotix & Nala are 2 packages have been suggested by our community members.
No reinstallation is required if you have Sparky rolling installed, simply keep it up to date; via the command: