Trouble installing Red Hat 9 on Dell Dimension 8250

Hey there all I came across this web page and I found it particularly interesting since I am just now venturing into the world of Linux (Yeah I'm really green)at 9 for a long while and I tried to install it once before and failed so I just didn't bother.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-18
Hey there all I came across this web page and I found it particularly interesting since I am just now venturing into the world of Linux (Yeah I'm really green)at 9 for a long while and I tried to install it once before and failed so I just didn't bother. I took it up today and I decided I wanted to go into it indept today. I parttioned my second hard drive with Partiton Magic 7.0 with an 11 GB partition for the installation and again to no avail. It worked a couple times up to a point and froze when I tried different parameters (noprobe, skipddc, text). I am frustrated now and this is my last ditch efforet to find out what to do. Can anyone HELP PLEASE.....Here are my system specs. :

Dell 8250
Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
512RDRAM
Phoenix Bios Ver. 4.0
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with TV Out (Dell)
C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device
Storage:
* Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
* Seagate ST380013A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
* NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A
* SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B
* Intel® PRO/100 M Network Connection
* Intel® 537EP Modem

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) (Seagate) 37.2 GB for Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

D: (NTFS) (Maxtor) 27.39 GB for Data
E: (NTFS) (Seagate) 37.25 for Microsoft Server 2003 SP1
Free Space (10.89) on Maxtor formatted in ext2 for linux by Partition Magic.

Pretty simple stuff. At first I thought it might have been the BIOS causing the system to hang so I flashed it a couple of months ago from the Version 1.0. Hook me up here...

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Try Fedora Core 4 for this system. Dell systems can be problematic, due to the legacy hardware on their systems. I'm sure that Redhat 9 is having trouble with some of the hardware.