The 6th update of Sparky 6 – 6.6 is out.
It is a quarterly updated point release of Sparky 6 “Po Tolo” of the stable line. Sparky 6 is based on and fully compatible with Debian 11 “Bullseye”.
– system upgraded from Debian & Sparky stable repos as of February 4, 2023
– PC: Linux kernel 5.10.166 (6.1.10, 5.15.92-ESR and 4.9.337-ESR49 (EOL) can be installed from Sparky unstable repos)
– ARM: Linux kernel 5.15.84-v7+
– Firefox 22.214.171.124esr (109.0.1 Mozzilla build can be installed from Sparky repos as the ‘firefox-sparky’)
– Thunderbird 102.6.0
– LibreOffice 7.0.4
– LXQt 0.16.0
– Xfce 4.16
– Openbox 3.6.1
– KDE Plasma 5.20.5
– small improvements
A Sparky tool to create Live USB disk (sparky-live-usb-creator) has gotten a new feature which lets you make a live USB disk with persistence. It means, you can use Sparky Live system from a USB disk and save your work, new installed applications, etc. to the same USB disk.
New iso images 6.6 received small changes of live boot lists (isolinux and grub) to make it compatible with the persistence feature.
Make sure iso images older than 6.6 are NOT compatible with the persistence feature.
ISO images compatible with persistence feature are (in this moment):
* stable >= 6.6
* rolling >= 2023.01
System re-installation is not required; if you have Sparky 6.x installed, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
or via the System Upgrade tool.
Sparky 6 is available in the following flavours:
– amd64: LXQt, KDE Plasma, Xfce, MinimalGUI (Openbox) & MinimalCLI (text mode)
– i686: LXQt, MinimalGUI (Openbox) & MinimalCLI (text mode)
– armhf: Openbox & CLI (text mode)
PC user:password – live:live
ARM user:password – pi:sparky
New live/install media of the stable line can be downloaded from the download/stable page.
A new version of SparkyLinux Stable Edition, based on Debian GNU/Linux 11 Bullseye, has been released.