Dev snapshot: Godot 4.2 beta 6
The 4.2 stable release is drawing near, as the list of known critical regressions is shrinking every day.
This 6th beta fixes a number of showstopper regressions via some relatively core changes. Those will need thorough testing to ensure that we’re not introducing other issues that would prevent users from moving from Godot 4.1 to 4.2. Please pay specific attention to those changes and ensure that they do not cause issues in your projects:
- C#: Add
NOTIFICATION_PREDELETE_CLEANUPnotification to fix C#
- Core: Make languages bookkeeping thread-safe ( GH-84657).
- We’re already aware of one issue affecting the C# editor caused by this PR ( see below) - please let us know if you spot anything else that changed behavior, especially in GDExtension language bindings.
- GDScript: Fix lambda cross-thread dynamics ( GH-84659).
- GUI/Input: Make mouse enter/exit notifications match mouse events ( GH-84547).
- This should restore the expected behavior for
mouse_exitedsignals. If you had noticed any weird change in mouse events in your projects in earlier betas, please make sure to test this beta 6 and confirm if your bugs are properly fixed.
- Input: Rework input actions to be reliable ( GH-84685).
- Godot 4.2 fixes an infamous bug affecting actions with multiple input methods assigned to them ( GH-45628), but that fix relied on getting proper information from the OS about which key events are repeated (echo). It turns out that some OSes ( GH-82262) and browsers ( GH-82732) don’t properly report this information, so we had to take another stab at refactoring this input handling. We need it tested thoroughly, especially on projects supporting using multiple event types at the same time.
Jump to the Downloads section, and give it a spin right now, or continue reading to learn more about improvements in this release. You can also try the Web editor or the Android editor for this release. If you are interested in the latter, please request to join our testing group to get access to pre-release builds.
The sixth beta release of Godot 4.2 is now available. The Godot Engine is a free, all-in-one, cross-platform game engine that makes it easy for you to create 2D and 3D games.