The AMD Open Source Driver for Vulkan® is an open-source Vulkan driver for Radeon™ graphics adapters on Linux®. It is built on top of AMD's Platform Abstraction Library (PAL), a shared component that is designed to encapsulate certain hardware and OS-specific programming details for many of AMD's 3D and compute drivers. Leveraging PAL can help provide a consistent experience across platforms, including support for recently released GPUs and compatibility with AMD developer tools.
Shaders that compose a particular VkPipeline object are compiled as a single entity using the LLVM-Based Pipeline Compiler (LLPC) library. LLPC builds on LLVM's existing shader compilation infrastructure for AMD GPUs to generate code objects compatible with PAL's pipeline ABI. Notably, AMD's closed-source Vulkan driver currently uses a different pipeline compiler, which is the major difference between AMD's open-source and closed-source Vulkan drivers.
The AMD Open Source Driver for Vulkan is designed to support the following AMD GPUs:
- Radeon™ RX 7900 Series
- Radeon™ RX 6900/6800/6700/6600/6500 Series
- Radeon™ RX 5700/5600/5500 Series
- Radeon™ RX Vega Series
- Radeon™ RX 400/500 Series
- Radeon™ Pro WX 9100, x200 Series
- Radeon™ Pro W5700/W5500 Series
Note For Pre-Polaris and Pre-Raven GPUs, please use v-2021.Q2.5 or older release.
Operating System Support
The AMD Open Source Driver for Vulkan is designed to support following distros and versions on both the AMDGPU upstream driver stack and the AMDGPU Pro driver stack:
- Ubuntu 22.04 (amd64 version)
- Ubuntu 20.04 (amd64 version)
- RedHat 8.6 (x86-64 version)
- RedHat 9.0 (x86-64 version)
The driver has not been well tested on other distros and versions. You may try it out on other distros and versions of your choice.
New feature and improvement
- Update Khronos Vulkan Headers to 1.3.246
- Support Navi3x floating point instructions
- Support extensions VK_KHR_map_memory2, VK_EXT_image_sliced_view_of_3d, VK_EXT_vertex_input_dynamic_state, VK_EXT_extended_dynamic_state3, VK_EXT_shader_module_identifier, VK_EXT_mesh_shader, VK_EXT_pipeline_library_group_handles, VK_EXT_descriptor_buffer
- New version CTS failure in dEQP-VK.api.copy_and_blit.dedicated* on Navi10
- CTS intermittent failure in dEQP-VK.wsi.wayland.swapchain.modify.resize
- [AMDVLK Issue #308] Incorrect alignment requirement for buffer-to-image copy
Download AMD Open Source Driver for Vulkan 2023.Q2.1
AMD has updated their Linux Open Source Driver for Vulkan.