This is the July update of Sparky rolling iso images which works on Linux kernel 6.3, and provides updated packages from Debian ‘trixie’ and Sparky ‘sisters’ testing repos.
– all packaged upgraded from Debian and Sparky testing repos as of July 16, 2023
– Linux kernel 6.3.7 (6.4.3 & 6.1.38-ESR & 5.15.120-ESR in sparky unstable repos)
– added new Debian repos: non-free-firmware
– live iso boots with Secure Boot enabled now
– Firefox 102.13.0 ESR (firefox-sparky 115.0.2 & firefox-esr-sparky 115.0.2esr in sparky repos)
– Thunderbird 102.13.0
– Openbox 3.6.1-10
– LXQt 1.2.0
– Xfce 4.18
– MATE 1.26.0
– KDE Plasma 5.27.0
– LibreOffice 7.4.5
– Python 3.11.4
– GCC 12.3.0 as default, but libgcc 13.1.0 is also installed
– systemd 253-rc2
– removed support of i386 architecture from all amd64 iso images
– xscreensaver removed from all iso images (make sure you can install it back, if you want)
– added sparky-locker instead of xscreensaver to Openbox, LXQt and Xfce iso images; it configures and launches i3lock; it autostarts (in 5 minutes) in desktop environments, but small window managers require to add the ‘sparky-locker’ command to their autostart scripts
– added Linux kernel 6.1 ESR to Sparky kernel installation of APTus, alongside to the latest and 5.15 ESR
– new artwork (wallpaper, grub, isolinux, lightdm, slim, plymouth, etc.)
– Openbox iso: removed Lock option from jgmenu
– Openbox wm-logout: added new LockScreen option, and fixed issue of the Logout option
– added a new set of wallpapers via the ‘sparky-artwork-extra’ package; it is provided by our community member Marty; thanks a lot!
– I am not fully happy with the sddm, so there is lightdm installed back instead of sddm (excluding KDE)
– added lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings tool which lets you easy configure the lightdm
Make sure that the ‘os-prober’ will be not executed to detect other bootable partitions as default.
To fix that manually, add the line:
on the end of the file (as root):
Then update grub:
If the grub file does not exist, copy grub.ucf-dist to grub file, then edit.
If you would like to upgrade Sparky 7 stable to semi-rolling, follow the post:
The live user password: live
Sparky 2023.07 amd64 is available in the following versions: LXQt, KDE Plasma, MATE, Xfce, MinimalGUI (Openbox) and MinimalCLI (text mode)
Get new semi-rolling iso images from: /download/rolling/ page.
New ISO images (LXQt, MATE, Xfce, KDE, MinimalGUI, and MinimalCLI) of SparkyLinux rolling edition based on Debian GNU/Linux 13 Trixie (testing) are now available.