Untitled thread

hi , i am new to linux. i installed fedora core 4 on my pc already having win xp with grub loader. i installed fedora by freeing space on win partition using QTpart. now when i tried to reinstall win xp booting stops at the point when system configures hardware installed and nothing happens.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar36.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-05-06
hi ,

i am new to linux. i installed fedora core 4 on my pc already having win xp with grub loader. i installed fedora by freeing
space on win partition using QTpart.now when i tried to reinstall win xp booting stops at the point when system configures hardware installed and nothing happens. so someone tell me what to do next?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Please clarify what you are currently trying to do.

You had Windows XP on your system, then installed Fedora Core 4.

Was Windows booting properly when you had dual boot with Grub?

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to re-install Windows XP now? Is there a reason why you are re-installing Windows?

As I understand your question, the Windows installation is hanging at the point that it is detecting the hardware on your system?

I never use QTparted to alter my hard drive partitions on a Windows system, as it has not been reliable with changing NTFS partitions.

One point to consider, as well, is that before you install any Linux distro, you should defrag the Windows partition first. This assures that any stray system files are moved away from the end of the Windows partition, so that when you modify the Windows partition, data or system files are not lost.