Untitled thread

Ah yes, forums, as my friend put it when I was talking to him last night The place you go when you're desperate. I had a feeling problems would arise during that last update, but didn't expect anything like this.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

41 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-19
Ah yes, forums, as my friend put it when I was talking to him last night "The place you go when you're desperate."

I had a feeling problems would arise during that last update, but didn't expect anything like this. First X broke, complaining of the lack of a core pointer. after much desperation I fixed that problem. Everything seemed to work fine and dandy, until I realised I was without sound. Somewhere amidst the desperation the idea came upon me to try another dist upgrade later that day, seeing if there were a fix to the "problem". I had forgotten completely that unlike synaptic, apt-get didn't have a preference for preferring packages from testing.... and so my computer became Sid. (oh my)

Anyway, I've tried the garden variety of things to do to fix sound (the only real problem I'm having). Yes, the volume is on, the mixer is set, I've installed the typical alsa packages and configured my programs to use the alsa sink. I've run alsaconfig and the like. I tried the minihowto at the alsa site for good measure, and lsmod even reports taht the driver to my card is loaded(snd-intel8x0), and yet, no sound for me It seems like programs are pretending to have sound, but they don't. If I go into a volume manager or whatnot that shows me what's being outputted, and then do things that would make sound, it shows activity, and yet, silence. Anybody here have any ideas by chance?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
It sounds like you did an upgrade not an update.

My guess is that you are booting to a new kernel? If so, alsa needs to be reinstalled for the new kernel.

Are there any error messages on boot, when you get KDE that complain of dsp not being found?

But, make sure that the sound is not really muted. At a console terminal, as root user, try typing in alsamixer and set the volumes up to almost the red.

41 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-19
OP
No, it's the same kernel. I don't think I'm getting any (related) error messages on bootup. The weird thing is it's finding the device find, and it's acting as if it were playing sounds, but in reality (silence). I've got all of the volumes set up there somewhere, relatively high, but it's still not putting out any sound

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Try this. I wonder if you are not in the audio group. I'm doing this on rote memory. As root user, try this in a console;

adduser (your login name) audio

So in my case it would be;

adduser danleff audio

Reboot and see what happens. Turn up the volume on the speakers a little.

41 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-19
OP
I recall running across this when I was looking for what was wrong. I checked, and it turns out this wasn't it. I'm in the audio group.
[Edited by bloody on 2005-10-20 19:56:04]

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Try the suggestions in this how-to. See if that helps at all.

41 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-19
OP
Thanks Danleff, that one did the trick, and here I thought I'd tried everything... guess not eh? Hahaha