Partitions in Mandrake 10.1

i dont know if my question is dumb. . but i want a suggesion how many partitions and how big space should we make in mandrake 10. 1? i got 17gb space for mandrake i have download mandrake 10. 1 from this homepage.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-04
i dont know if my question is dumb..
but i want a suggesion
how many partitions and how big space should we make in mandrake 10.1?
i got 17gb space for mandrake
i have download mandrake 10.1 from this homepage... 3 iso. but when want to install, it show i should have 4 iso..
is that the 300mb's one?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

165 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-30
You know, partitions are up to you, but of course there are general recommendations how you should partition your HD. Some of the general rules that I would follow for partitioning my HD for Mandrake are:

-Create a boot partition at least 100Mb
-Create a Swap partition three times greater than your RAM, so if you have a 256 RAM multiply it by 3.
-Creat a Root( / ) partition and I would say about 60 to 70% of your HD.
-Create a Home partition (/home) with 25% to 30% of your HD or just use whatever space is left.

You can go on creating additional partions if you prefer such as for /var, /www, etc...but usually I never did.

There are many tutorials online that will give some general guidelines for this as well:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3174/1/

Right now I'm using ProMepis and the only partitions I need are swap, and root, but it is always suggested to make some partitions for security porpuses.

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
The download version has 3 iso's to get. Let's also make sure that you got the right ones. What is the exact name of the first iso image that you downloaded?

Is it Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-cd1.i586.iso?

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-04
OP
thanx LinuxCrusader & danleff
its really help
i ll try it after this

emmm
this is what i have download.
>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso
>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD2.i586.iso
>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD3.i586.iso
>> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Mini.i586.iso <--- anyway what is this file for? i download it coz it a iso file

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Quote:Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Mini.i586.iso <--- anyway what is this file for? i download it coz it a iso file

You don't need the mini iso disk, the others are the correct disks, only three. The mini disk is good as a rescue disk, or to install the distro from a hard drive.

Make sure that you burn them at a slow speed, say 4X or 9X, as iso files like to be burned at a slow speed.

Also, make sure that you burn as an image, don't just burn the iso's as a data disk. For example, if you are using Nero to burn the images, choose from the dropdown menu file-->burn image, for each iso file.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

22 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-27
Hi all,
regarding partitions.
If you use auto allocate after selecting the 17gig portion of your drive, you will be ok.
I currently use 18gig for Mandrake 10.1official
5.8gig /root
1gig swap
the rest for /home
Dual booting Mandrake & XP pro for games

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-04
OP
emmm...
ic...
thanx for the help...
i already compllete installing mandrake..
now tryin this make me feel free from windows...
hehe..
and already sussecful configure my internet connection (read instructions from forum)

thanx guys ..
all of u really helpin..