Parallel Port Issue With Printer And SUSE 10.0

I'm experiencing a problem with a HP T-45 printer I've connected to the parallel port on one of my Linux computers. Here's hoping someone has a suggestion. As for history on this, I had a different parallel port printer hooked to this box with SUSE 9.

Everything Linux 1798 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
I'm experiencing a problem with a HP T-45 printer I've connected to the parallel port on one of my Linux computers. Here's hoping someone has a suggestion.

As for history on this, I had a different parallel port printer hooked to this box with SUSE 9.3, which worked. I have since reformatted and installed SUSE 10.0. During the install, I did not have a printer connected to the box.

I removed the T-45 from another identical box, where it was working fine (same printer and cable) and connected it to the second box, to which I wanted it installed.

I was surprised when I rebooted the box that the printer was not detected by SUSE 10.0, but went into YAST to attempt an install of the T-45.

I installed the T-45 through YAST. If I look under "Printers" in SUSE, I can see the T-45. If I open OpenOffice or any other program to print, I see the T-45 printer shown, but I cannot print.

I see the print job queued from the T-45 but it never prints. I have to eventually delete the print job.

I checked in BIOS and the parallel port is set to ECC, as it should be. Same as on the other system, where the T-45 worked with the same motherboard.

As I say, everything appears to work, but there is no print. It seems like the parallel port and the printer are not communicating.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do? (I don't need this one to scan or anything....although it is multi-function. Just need it to print.)

Regards,
zenarcher

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

237 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-14
OP
Well, I managed to get this one fixed. It turns out, the problem was related to the numerous and conflicting HP drivers, associated with many of these HP printers. Again, I completely removed the printer from the system, including removal by running /usr/sbin/ptal-inst setup. I reinstalled, using the old style HP driver, then once again ran ptal-inst setup. I removed the comment in front of hpoj in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

I can now print and scan with the HP OfficeJet T-45. Just as with the HP PSC 1401, I must run /usr/sbin/ptal-inst start before I can scan. Then, I must run /usr/sbin/ptal-inst stop before I can print again. Of course, those must be run as "su" from a terminal.

Regards,
zenarcher