????internet????

;( I have recently migrated over to the linux side of the force. I have a dual boot hard drive. on one partition I am running Suse 9. 3 pro, and on the other partition I am running Xandros 3. 0 desktop.

Linux Networking 361 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-19
;( I have recently migrated over to the linux side of the force. I have a dual boot hard drive. on one partition I am running Suse 9.3 pro, and on the other partition I am running Xandros 3.0 desktop. the problem I am having is that neither is able to let me access the internet.
I have a Motorola sb5120 ethernet cable modem that I am using with my Adelphia broadband. The network wizards that have run about 5 million times have seen the card and have it configured. (eth0 sis900). but when i tab on to a browser, Konqueror, Firefox, Mozilla, I receive the same message: "host name >>>>>could not be found" etc. please try again.
I could really use some help[ in trying to get this up and running so that I may take Macrocrap and the Blue "E" and dispose of the with the remnants of my cats litterbox, where it so deservedly belongs.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciaed. I am not too computer saavy, but I am trying to learn.
Thank you in advance for any help in this matter!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-07
Hi,
A quick search showed that your modem is compatible with linux - thats good.
Can you 'ping' any address? (ping command from the comand line eg: linux># ping 216.239.57.99 {cntrl-c to stop, thats google's IP by the way))
But it just sounds like an address to IP problem, in your browser just try an IP number not the Address translation ie. 216.239.57.99 instead of www.google.com.
If it is the DNS go thru YAST-NETWORK SERVICES-NAME SERVER & DOMAIN and in the name server box put your DNS settings which your provided should have given you.
Also if you need to go thru a Proxy server Konqueror,MOz Firefox etc will need that entered in there settings.
see how that goes.
Regards,
Ian.
~~~
"@|@"
^

"...Intelligent people don't call people stupid!
-only stupid people, call other's stupid!..."
"...If you want something done well!
-leave it in the microwave overnight!..."

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-07
Sorry,
That should have read:
YAST-NETWORK SERVICES-DNS AND HOSTNAME-NAME SERVER & DOMAIN SEARCH LIST than under name server
Regards,
Ian.
~~~
"@|@"
^

"...Intelligent people don't call people stupid!
-only stupid people, call other's stupid!..."
"...If you want something done well!
-leave it in the microwave overnight!..."

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-19
OP
thnx for your replies somehow in going through the vast forums i got both my o.s to be able to go online. you were all a big help. in just reading the posts and replies.