Ubuntu Hoary Array CD 6
Posted on: 03/03/2005 09:37 AM
Ubuntu Hoary Array CD 6 is now available, after a short delay due an outage at their data center:
Array CD 6 is ready. This is the sixth in a series of milestone CD images, released when they're known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD-build or installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of Hoary. You can download it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hoary/array-6/
for access instructions.
Pre-release versions of Hoary are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional breakage. They *are* recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.
As with Array CDs 4 and 5, this release includes both the Install CD and the Live CD.
This is scheduled to be the last Array CD release before the Hoary Preview. As such, we'd very much appreciate anyone who can test it to do so and file bugs on any problems you encounter.
Some notable installer improvements and bug-fixes in this release:
* New keymap selection code from Matthias Urlichs, that asks you to press various keys and works out your keyboard layout from that.
* Some memory leaks fixed.
* Serial console installation fixed.
* Fixed autodetection of AdvanSys, Fusion MPT, Future Domain, and
QLogic ISP1020 SCSI devices.
* Never install packages from the network during desktop installation, apart from language packs and language support packages (#6390).
* Some fixes to apt configuration in the server install.
* Kickstart support much improved, and can now do a fully noninteractive install by reading a Kickstart file from the CD-ROM or from the network under some circumstances.
* Run udevstart after each round of hotplug autodetection; this may help with some mysterious autodetection failures.
* Problems with CD-ROM detection on systems with SATA hard disks but a PATA CD-ROM should now be fixed (#1440).
* X should now set a proper keymap corresponding to the keymap chosen during installation.
Notable fixes specific to the live CD in this release:
* Avoid infinite loop on live CD if wireless association fails.
* Avoid prompt on live CD when no network interfaces can be configured (#6107).
* The live CD spawns shells on virtual consoles, not login prompts, and locks the ubuntu user's password.
* The ia64 live CD is broken, since the cloop root filesystem image hasn't built properly for several weeks. The current blocking issue (which will probably also affect the install CD) is that mozilla-firefox crashes while trying to register chrome.
If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Hoary, have a look at the hoary-changes list: http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/hoary-changes
Bug reports should go here: https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/