SUSE Linux 10.1 Alpha1 "Auckland" is ready
Posted on: 10/02/2005 09:01 AM
An alpha version of SUSE Linux 10.1 has been released.
New significant changes in 10.1 Alpha1 since 10.0:
* Update to KDE 3.5 Beta1
* Update to openldap 2.3.7
* Update to Linux 126.96.36.199 kernel
* YaST does not install the bootloader in the MBR
* We use ifplugd by default for network interfaces
* a number of package updates and package fixes to reduce compile warnings (especially about missing declarations and aliasing)
* Update of pilot-link packages - currently these are broken: GNOME installation: Do not install multisync-ldap, multisync-palm KDE installation: Do not install kdebluetooth, kdepim3-kpilot, kdepim3-sync, taskjuggler, taskjuggler-kde, kdepim3 - note this means you miss kontact!
Some of the known issues:
* The distribution identifies itself as "10.0.42 Alpha1" - and has in quite a lot places the 10.0 branding, including the 10.0 release notes. This is a known feature;-)
* kdepim3 cannot get installed. We've put on the mirror besides the ISOs a kdepim directory
* Internet test will not work since downloading to patches is not setup.
Note: Alpha1 will be followed by Alpha2 in four weeks, Alpha1 is not supported and we advice to not use it on production systems. It has only gone through minimal testing on our side.
Please report all bugs according to
This time we have made a tri-arch (i386, x86_64, ppc) ftp tree. We will release next week 10.0 Final with a tri-arch ftp tree as well if no issues are found with this 10.1 Alpha1 tri-arch tree.
A list of important known issues appears on:
BitTorrent already works:
Mirrors are still syncing and might not yet be available. However, existing mirrors near to you can be found behind the new http://download.opensuse.org/
x86 architecture (Intel 32bit) architecture:
(Delta isos are also available, please read the README inside the directory)
For x86-64 (AMD64 / EM64T) 64bit architecture:
For PowerPC architecture:
The boot image for network installation (i386 and x86-64 only atm) is available here: