RHSA-2009:1341-02 Low: cman security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Posted on: 09/02/2009 12:30 PM
A new update is available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Here the announcement:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Red Hat Security Advisory
Synopsis: Low: cman security, bug fix, and enhancement update
Advisory ID: RHSA-2009:1341-02
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Advisory URL: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2009-1341.html
Issue date: 2009-09-02
CVE Names: CVE-2008-4579 CVE-2008-6552
Updated cman packages that fix several security issues, various bugs, and
add enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
2. Relevant releases/architectures:
RHEL Desktop Workstation (v. 5 client) - i386, x86_64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 server) - i386, ia64, ppc, s390x, x86_64
The Cluster Manager (cman) utility provides services for managing a Linux
Multiple insecure temporary file use flaws were found in fence_apc_snmp and
ccs_tool. A local attacker could use these flaws to overwrite an arbitrary
file writable by a victim running those utilities (typically root) with
the output of the utilities via a symbolic link attack. (CVE-2008-4579,
* a buffer could overflow if cluster.conf had more than 52 entries per
block inside the lt;cmangt; block. The limit is now 1024.
* the output of the group_tool dump subcommands were NULL padded.
* using device="" instead of label="" no longer causes qdiskd to
* the IPMI fencing agent has been modified to time out after 10 seconds. It
is also now possible to specify a different timeout value with the '-t'
* the IPMI fencing agent now allows punctuation in passwords.
* quickly starting and stopping the cman service no longer causes the
cluster membership to become inconsistent across the cluster.
* an issue with lock syncing caused 'receive_own from' errors to be logged
* an issue which caused gfs_controld to segfault when mounting hundreds of
file systems has been fixed.
* the LPAR fencing agent now properly reports status when an LPAR is in
Open Firmware mode.
* the LPAR fencing agent now works properly with systems using the
Integrated Virtualization Manager (IVM).
* the APC SNMP fencing agent now properly recognizes outletStatusOn and
outletStatusOff return codes from the SNMP agent.
* the WTI fencing agent can now connect to fencing devices with no
* the rps-10 fencing agent now properly performs a reboot when run with no
* the IPMI fencing agent now supports different cipher types with the '-C'
* qdisk now properly scans devices and partitions.
* cman now checks to see if a new node has state to prevent killing the
first node during cluster setup.
* 'service qdiskd start' now works properly.
* the McData fence agent now works properly with the McData Sphereon 4500
* the Egenera fence agent can now specify an SSH login name.
* the APC fence agent now works with non-admin accounts when using the
* fence_xvmd now tries two methods to reboot a virtual machine.
* connections to OpenAIS are now allowed from unprivileged CPG clients with
the user and group of 'ais'.
* groupd no longer allows the default fence domain to be '0', which
previously caused rgmanager to hang. Now, rgmanager no longer hangs.
* the RSA fence agent now supports SSH enabled RSA II devices.
* the DRAC fence agent now works with the Integrated Dell Remote Access
Controller (iDRAC) on Dell PowerEdge M600 blade servers.
* fixed a memory leak in cman.
* qdisk now displays a warning if more than one label is found with the
* the DRAC5 fencing agent now shows proper usage instructions for the '-D'
* cman no longer uses the wrong node name when getnameinfo() fails.
* the SCSI fence agent now verifies that sg_persist is installed.
* the DRAC5 fencing agent now properly handles modulename.
* QDisk now logs warning messages if it appears its I/O to shared storage
* fence_apc no longer fails with a pexpect exception.
* removing a node from the cluster using 'cman_tool leave remove' now
properly reduces the expected_votes and quorum.
* a semaphore leak in cman has been fixed.
* 'cman_tool nodes -F name' no longer segfaults when a node is out of
* support for: ePowerSwitch 8+ and LPAR/HMC v3 devices, Cisco MDS 9124 and
MDS 9134 SAN switches, the virsh fencing agent, and broadcast communication
* fence_scsi limitations added to fence_scsi man page.
Users of cman are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve these issues and add these enhancements.
Before applying this update, make sure that all previously-released
errata relevant to your system have been applied.
This update is available via Red Hat Network. Details on how to use
the Red Hat Network to apply this update are available at
5. Bugs fixed (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/):
276541 - fence_impilan blocks alternative fencing agents when connectivity to IPMI fails.
322291 - rps-10 fence agent does not perform default reboot action
447497 - RFE: support for IPMI v2.0 ciphersuites in fence_ipmilan
447964 - fence_ipmilan does not handle punctuation in password
467386 - CVE-2008-4579 cman/fence: insecure temporary file usage in the apc fence agents
468966 - Possible buffer overflow in cman config loader can lead to memory corruption
472460 - cman_tool nodes -F name segfaults when a node is out of membership
472786 - cluster view inconsistent after "service cman stop; service cman start"
473961 - clvmd memory leak
474163 - gfs_controld: receive_own from N messages with plock_ownership enabled
480178 - fence_xvmd Fails to Reboot VM
480401 - gfs_controld segfault during multiple mount attempt
480836 - [RFE] Add support for Cisco 9124 and 9134 SAN switches as fence devices
481566 - [PATCH] /sbin/fence_lpar - properly report status on systems in Open Firmware
481664 - fence_wti is unable to connect to (password-less) fencing device
484095 - fence_apc_snmp: invalid status outletStatusOff
484956 - qdiskd does not prune partitions mapped to dm-mpio devices
485026 - Cman kills first node in initial cluster setup
485199 - 'service qdiskd restart' doesn't work
485469 - Normal users cannot run CPG clients if openais is started by cman.
485700 - fence_lpar doesn't work with hmc version 3
487436 - Qdisk should choose first disk if multiple disks containing same label exist
487501 - Exceptions in fencing agents
488565 - cman uses local node name for lookup during start up
488958 - GFS: Allow fence_egenera to specify ssh login name
491640 - APC Fence Agent does not work with non-admin account
493165 - group_tool ls fence returns one for fence id ZERO
493207 - groupd assigns zero group id
493802 - [RFE] Providing support for ssh enabled RSA II fence devices
496629 - [RFE] Include fence_virsh along with the present agents
496724 - fence_drac5 uses module_name instead of modulename
498329 - fence_drac5 help output shows incorrect usage
499767 - groupd segfaults on start
500450 - qdiskd I/O hang reporting
500567 - Flag added to openais to report security errors causes cman not to build
501586 - fence agents (fence_apc, fence_wti) fails with pexpect exception
502674 - fence_lpar can't log in to IVM systems
504705 - fence_lpar: lssyscfg command on HMC can take longer than SHELL_TIMEOUT
505258 - cman_tool leave remove does not reduce quorum
505594 - semaphore leak during cluster startup/shutdown cycle
512998 - Fence_scsi limitations man page fix needed
514758 - [RHEL5][cman] fence_apc_snmp: local variable 'verbose_filename' referenced before assignment
519436 - CVE-2008-6552 cman, gfs2-utils, rgmanager: multiple insecure temporary file use issues
6. Package List:
RHEL Desktop Workstation (v. 5 client):
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 server):
These packages are GPG signed by Red Hat for security. Our key and
details on how to verify the signature are available from
The Red Hat security contact is lt;firstname.lastname@example.org;. More contact
details at https://www.redhat.com/security/team/contact/
Copyright 2009 Red Hat, Inc.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.4 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----