Release Candidate 2 of Debian Installer
Posted on: 02/01/2009 10:29 AM
The Debian Installer team is pleased to announce the second release candidate of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Lenny.
Improvements in this release of the installer
* Updated Linux kernel (2.6.26-13) and external modules (2.6.26-5);
* Available modules for PATA devices on CD-ROM images (partly fixes installation problems with Marvell disk controllers, some problems still remains and are documented in the errata);
* Improved brltty device support;
* Support firmware loading from usb devices in Sparc;
* Improved support for encrypted partitions in rescue mode;
* Fixed s390 installer on 3215 consoles;
* Fixed serial console issues on Sparc;
* Fixed multi-arch CD: it no longer boots directly to the amd64 installer;
* Updated installation guide with a re-added Spanish translation;
* Fallback languages other than English are now properly used when the translation is incomplete.
* Fixed Danish translations in several seldomly used modules
* Fixed calculation of partition sizes in automatic LVM partitioning
Behavioral changes in this release
* Users can now return back to the boot menu from the boot help screens;
* The tools/ directory on CD images is no longer provided. It used to include tools such as loadlin, unzip, gzip which are nearly no longer used and documented in the installation guide;
Known issues in this release
* Rescue mode should be used with great care when software RAID arrays were in use on the system to rescue. The rescue mode scripts automatically assemble arrays, which could lead to data corruption in the presence of invalid or obsolete RAID superblocks.
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
We do need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything you else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.