Posted on: 02/27/2007 03:28 PM
Pango-1.16.0 is now available for download at: http://download.gnome.org/sources/pango/1.16/
This is a stable release providing new functionality as compared to Pango-1.14, while maintaining source and binary compatibility. Notable improvements in Pango since version 1.14 include:
* Support for vertical writing system
* Improved performance when rendering layouts multiple times
* New Thai, Indic, and Arabic language engines, improving line breaking and cursor positioning in their respective languages. These were backported released in later 1.14.x releases too.
Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an emphasis on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout is needed, though most of the work on Pango so far has been done in the context of the GTK+ widget toolkit. Pango forms the core of text and font handling for GTK+-2.x.
Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout engine can be used with different font backends. There are three basic backends, with multiple options for rendering with each.
- Client side fonts using the FreeType and fontconfig libraries. Rendering can be with with Cairo or Xft libraries, or directly to an in-memory buffer with no additional libraries.
- Native fonts on Microsoft Windows using Uniscribe for complex-text handling. Rendering can be done via Cairo or directly using the native Win32 API.
- Native fonts on MacOS X, rendering via Cairo.
The integration of Pango with Cairo (http://cairographics.org) provides a complete solution with high quality text handling and graphics rendering.
Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular combinations of script and font backend. Pango ships with a wide selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic, Hangul, Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the world's major scripts are supported.
As well as the low level layout rendering routines, Pango includes PangoLayout, a high level driver for laying out entire blocks of text, and routines to assist in editing internationalized text.
More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.
Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
Pango 1.16.0 depends on version 2.12.0 or newer of the GLib library and version 1.2.6 or newer of the cairo library (if the cairo backend is desired); more information about GLib and cairo can be found at http://www.gtk.org/
Overview of changes between 1.15.6 and 1.16.0
- Improved docs, with an object hierarchy and cross references to glib and cairo docs now (may require rebuilding the docs to correctly detect glib and cairo prefixes).
- Improved font selection for space characters
- Misc build system fixes
- Bugs fixed in this release:
Bug 407087 =E2=80" autogen.sh wants automake-1.7
Bug 409212 =E2=80" Missing link flag prevents build with "-z defs
" ld flags
Patch from Lo=C3=AFc Minier
Bug 355987 =E2=80" choosing font/shaper for spaces breaks Arabic
runs on spaces
27 February 2007