Posted on: 01/30/2007 09:32 AM
Pango-1.14.10 is now available for download at: http://download.gnome.org/sources/pango/1.14/
This is a follow-up stable release to fix various Indic shaper bugs and to add a new Thai language engine using libthai, and is source and binary compatible with 1.14.x.
Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an emphasis on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout is needed, though most of the work on Pango so far has been done in the context of the GTK+ widget toolkit. Pango forms the core of text and font handling for GTK+-2.x.
Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout engine can be used with different font backends. There are three basic backends, with multiple options for rendering with each.
- Client side fonts using the FreeType and fontconfig libraries. Rendering can be with with Cairo or Xft libraries, or directly to an in-memory buffer with no additional libraries.
- Native fonts on Microsoft Windows using Uniscribe for complex-text handling. Rendering can be done via Cairo or directly using the native Win32 API.
- Native fonts on MacOS X, rendering via Cairo.
The integration of Pango with Cairo (http://cairographics.org) provides a complete solution with high quality text handling and graphics rendering.
Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular combinations of script and font backend. Pango ships with a wide selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic, Hangul, Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the world's major scripts are supported.
As well as the low level layout rendering routines, Pango includes PangoLayout, a high level driver for laying out entire blocks of text, and routines to assist in editing internationalized text.
More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.
Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
Pango 1.14 depends on version 2.10.0 or newer of the GLib library and version 1.2.2 or newer of the cairo library (if the cairo backend is desired); more information about GLib and cairo can be found at http://www.gtk.org/
Overview of changes between 1.14.9 and 1.14.10
- Spell-checked docs.
- Fix various bugs that could cause ellipsization to stop prematurely.
- Fix rendering of background color being off in presence of rise attribute
* Bugs fixed in this release:
* pango/pango-renderer.c (pango_renderer_draw_layout_line): Fix
background rendering being off in presence of rise attributes.
Bug 326099 =E2=80" Setting width, indentation and ellipsizing doesn't wo
as I would expect
Bug 319808 =E2=80" Patch to let pango support artifical italic, bold and
bold italic styles for the fonts which don't have these styles.
Patch from James Su
Red Hat Bug 211574: [hi/ml/si_LK] cursor naviation is wrong when
using ZWJ (200d)
Patch from LingNing Zhang
Bug 394453 =E2=80" Use -mms-bitfields (win32)
Bug 392628 =E2=80" Don't check for X on win32
Bug 392789 =E2=80" vpath build fails in basic module (win32)
29 January 2007