openSUSE 10.3 Alpha7
Posted on: 08/03/2007 12:29 PM
openSUSE 10.3 Alpha7 has been released:
Alpha7 is ready, after 5 rebuilds we're happy to say it looks good enough for the public.
Important Changes Since Alpha6
* Linux 188.8.131.52
* gcc 4.2.1
* libzypp 3.12.1
* the package set of the CDs are heavily reshuffled and with it the patterns
also affecting the DVD
After Alpha6 was more about testing the first integration of libzypp, Alpha7 is already 10 steps further in regards to libzypp. But we'd like to have your feedback on the refresh policy of yast/zypper. See Duncan's explanation about the problem in the opensuse-factory archive: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2007-07/msg00169.html
A more detailed list of changes is available via
Most Annoying Bugs
* The initrd created doesn't boot on vmware and on some older SCSI controllers
Call for Testing
Give this good testing. We have good faith, we're at beta quality there now, but give it good testing and give feedback. The zypp team also takes positive feedback.
* GNOME CD
The patterns for the GNOME CD were redone from scratch to fit on the i386 CD without leaving out major software as it happened with alpha6. Unfortunately the x86_64 ISO does not fit on a CD, but you can test it on a DVD. We wish to get more feedback on the package selection (remember to list a larger package to remove if you want one to be added)
Media and Download
openSUSE 10.3 Alpha7 for i386, x86-64 and ppc comes as different media
* 1 DVD containing OSS and NonOSS software
* 1 CD with a default KDE installation (not for ppc)
* 1 CD with a default GNOME installation (not for ppc)
* 1 AddOn CD with only NonOSS packages on it
* 1 AddOn CD with language packages that are used for extra languages (the DVD contains support for english, french, italian, spanish, german, chinese, japanese, czech, danish, norwegian, khmer, hungarian, polish) (the DVD has support for installation in all languages, just extra packages are only on this extra media)
* DVD/CDs containing the sources corresponding to the media
We have created Delta ISOs from openSUSE 10.3 Alpha6. Please use them for download.
The DVDs and the source media are only available via bittorrent.
Please report all bugs you find on in our bugzilla as explained in http://bugs.opensuse.org, discussion is most appropriate on the opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.
To download media, please use the links provided at: