Posted on: 03/16/2004 05:31 PM
Kdenlive is a video editing GUI for KDE. It provides dual video monitors, a multi-track timeline and clip list. Other features include customizable layout support, preliminary support for effects and translation into French.
PIAVE is a render engine and effect library. It can read DV video files, render effects and transitions between input streams. Streams can be displayed or piped to a file. Any project can link against libpiave and use the provided features. PIAVE also provides a server application which can receive commands from Kdenlive.
Editing in Kdenlive is possible with various tools via the timeline and video monitors, allowing you to move and resize one or more clips, and razor clips into two. All timeline tools can snap to clip start/ends and the current seek position. Kdenlive communicates via an XML based protocol to a render engine which handles the actual video data.
New Features Include:
* Italian Translation by Daniele Medri <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Initial support for importing Kino project files. (Seems complete, but not fully tested)
* Preliminary support for snap markers
* Play selected button on clip monitor.
Some important features are still missing, but Kdenlive is now useable for small projects. We would like people to test what we have and tell us which features they miss the most. We want to find out what is most important to people, and last not least we want to attract developers. There are many small and not so small things where people could help. Be it GUI development, XML/network development, development of plugins, or simply reporting bugs.
What you can already do :
- Open files in raw DV and AVI DV format (e.g. from dvgrab)
- trim / cut / arange the clips in the timeline
- scroll / step through the project
- play the project
- load / save projects
- export the project to a raw DV file
What you cannot yet do :
- control your DV cam and grab clips (supported by piave but not available via kdenlive)
- import or export other fileformats
- handle sound and video separately
- effects and transitions are not yet configurable via the GUI which means they are practically not available.
Additional Information / screenshots can be found in the following places :
Home : http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kdenlive.html
Sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdenlive/
Home : http://modesto.sourceforge.net/piave/index.html
Sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/modesto/