Posted on: 01/09/2007 11:12 AM
Here's another release of the GNOME Utilities package. I know, I know: the number of releases in the development cycle has been incredibly low, and unfortunately some of the promised features I tried to implement did not make it into the final cut; the plug-in and code refactoring of the system log viewer, for instance, didn't quite stabilise during development, so it'll need some more time in the oven in order to be ready. Another feature was the rework of the screenshot save dialog; that too will have to wait (not much, though, I promise). And, finally, the dictionary hasn't been ported to the GtkPrint API, so it'll still use libgnomeprint.
But what's new in this release, then? Here's the NEWS:
GNOME Utilities 2.17.1 (8th January 2007) - "Cast no shadow"
* Second unstable release of the 2.17 cycle.
* Small clean ups.
* Fix bug #166015 - Lookup selected text automatically
* Fix bug #342851 - No longer renders cross references as hyperlinks
* Fix bug #333132 - Allow editing of dictionary sources
* Fix bug #352141 - Problems in the View menu
* Fix bug #351601 - Add dict advanced settings not working
* Fix bug #377296 - The gdk-doc build is broken.
* Fix bug #372386 - Add Thai dictionary source
* Fix bug #348656 - Poor discoverability of the look up process
* Fix bug #161525 - Screenshot application complains that it cannot
save the screenshot file on *BSD.
* Fix bug #362903 - gnome-panel-screenshot asks for password, and
keeps on asking.
* Add an "interactive mode": when launched from the menu or with the
--interactive|-i command line switch, a dialog will be shown,
allowing the change of settings before taking the screenshot.
(Fixes bug #331644)
* Remove usage of deprecated functions.
* Fix documentation error.
* Fix compiler warning.
System Log Viewer
* Fix bug #380410 - Check against invalid data.
Translations Updated By:
* Mohamed Magdy (ar)
* Jakub Friedl (cs)
* Hendrik Richter (de)
* Francisco Javier F. Serrador (es)
* Jovan Naumovski (mk)
* Kjartan Maraas (nb)
* Daniel Nylander (sv)
* Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (th)
* Clytie Siddall (vi)
The dictionary source editing is a bit rough, and I'll work in this couple of months before GNOME 2.18 to fix what's left; also the interactive dialog of the screenshot utility is a little rough and will be polished in time for the release date.
As usual, download from: http://download.gnome.org/sources/gnome-utils/2.17/
test, file bugs and if you want to give a hand with a patch you're more than welcome to do so! :-)
Emmanuele Bassi, E: email@example.com