Posted on: 02/13/2007 02:35 PM
With Glom you can design table definitions and the relationships between them, plus arrange the fields on the screen. You can edit and search the data in those tables, and specify field values in terms of other fields. It's as easy as it should be.
Glom 1.3/1.4 adds some new features and minor UI changes and includes bugfixes from the Glom 1.2.x branch. It is now settling down, so it can become a stable 1.4.0 release.
More information and screenshots are athttp://www.glom.org
*** Glom 1.3.8
New features compared to 1.2.x:
When creating a new Glom file, you may host the database from your local computer.
This is implemented with a local instance of PostgreSQL, on an available network port,
so you don't need to manually configure a central PostgreSQL server appropriately.
This is the default. Central hosting is still available as an option.
It works, but it's a new feature, so there are likely to be some problems. I'd like to
hear about them in bugzilla.
This will need some attention from packagers:
Glom now _depends_ on PostgreSQL, so if you make the PostgreSQL dependency optional then Glom
will break when it's not present.
More information here: http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/12/21/self-hosting-glom/
* Related Records: Allow viewing of records from doubly-related records.
More information here: http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/12/11/glom-showing-related-related-records/
* Translations: Add Export and Import buttons, which use the familiar .po format.
* Developer menu: Added Script Library.
This allows you to add Python modules that can be imported by your buttons scripts
or field calculations, with those modules being contained in one .glom file.
* Button scripts and calculated fields: Code now uses Python syntax-highlighting
colors, using GtkSourceView. (Johannes Schmid, Dodji Seketeli, Murray Cumming)
* Details view: Added vertical scrollbar.
* Field formatting: Choices: Allow the user to remove a previously-chosen Also Show field.
Bug #365051 from L Davison.
* Slightly more efficient initial connection. (Bug #368787 from Craig Keogh)
* .glom file-format: Now less likely to be corrupted by other XML parsers, such as Python's
* Added --debug-sql commmand-line option, which prints out the generated
SQL commands, for your amazement. (Johannes Schmid, Murray Cumming)
* Avoid various runtime errors.http://www.glom.org