GLib 2.7.5 released
Posted on: 08/02/2005 05:20 PM
GLib 2.7.5 is now available for download at: ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.7/
glib-2.7.5.tar.bz2 md5sum: b55611611f7a6afb34e2e7f7be4db7aa
glib-2.7.5.tar.gz md5sum: 3939234166ef35729bccfb4cdd1b0748
This is the sixth development release leading up to GLib 2.8.
* We consider this release to be a release candidate for
2.8.0. The only area where changes between this release
and the final 2.8.0 are still likely is the the atomic
reference counting changes in GObject.
* Installing this version will overwrite your existing
copy of GLib 2.6. If you have problems, you'll need
to reinstall GLib 2.6.6.
* GLib 2.8 will be source and binary compatible with
the GLib 2.6.x series. The new API additions in GLib
2.7.x are finalized at this point, and GLib 2.7.x
should be considered API frozen. Unless serious issues
with the new APIs come up, there will be no API
changes between this release and the 2.8.0 release.
* GLib 2.7.3 contains changes which make the reference
counting of and signal emission in GObject thread-safe.
While the patch (see bug 166020) has been subject to
several rounds of review, it would be worthwhile to
pay particular attention to possible problems due to
this change. We will make a final evaluation of the
atomic refcounting changes before releasing 2.8.
* Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
GLib is the low-level core library that forms the basis for projects such as GTK+ and GNOME. It provides data structure handling for C, portability wrappers, and interfaces for such runtime functionality as an event loop, threads, dynamic loading, and an object system.
More information about GLib is available at: http://www.gtk.org/
An installation guide for the GTK+ libraries, including GLib, can be found at: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html
Overview of Changes from GLib 2.7.4 to GLib 2.7.5
* Thread-related changes
- Fix build issues on HP-UX [Paul Cornett]
- Threadsafe access to flags stored in datasets [Tim Janik]
- Fix several issues with atomic refcounting for
closures, objects and paramspecs [Tim]
- Improve tests for atomic refcounting changes [Tim]
* Fix handling of stateful encodings in g_convert_* [Matthias]
* Fix translation of GOption help output [Dan Winship]
* Catch format errors in translations. This may cause
"make check" to fail when using older versions
of gettext [Matthias]
* Win32 bug fixes [Tor Lillqvist]
* Documentation improvements [Ross Burton, Jochen Baier,
* New and updated translations (de,fi,gu,pl,pt,tr,zh_TW)
A list of all bugs fixed in this release can be found athttp://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_id=311569,163051,311337,311310,166020
August 2, 2005