GLib 2.7.3 released
Posted on: 07/15/2005 04:06 PM
GLib 2.7.3 is now available for download at: ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.7/
glib-2.7.3.tar.bz2 md5sum: 076452cb961adf4b46eaeee920cf4469
glib-2.7.3.tar.gz md5sum: 97cace8bf679eedfd985d877d6812106
This is the fourth development release leading up to GLib 2.8.
* This is unstable development release. While it has had
a bit of testing, there are certainly plenty of bugs
remaining to be found. This release should not be used
* Installing this version will overwrite your existing
copy of GLib 2.6. If you have problems, you'll need
to reinstall GLib 2.6.5.
* GLib 2.8 will be source and binary compatible with
the GLib 2.6.x series. The new API additions in GLib
2.7.x are finalized at this point, and GLib 2.7.x
should be considered API frozen. Unless serious issues
with the new APIs come up, there will be no API
changes between this release and the 2.8.0 release.
* GLib 2.7.3 contains changes which make the reference
counting and signal emission in GObject thread-safe.
While the patch (see bug 166020) has been subject to
several rounds of review, it would be worthwhile to
pay particular attention to possible problems due to
this change. We will make a final evaluation of the
atomic refcounting changes before releasing 2.8.
* Remaining issues for GLib 2.8 can be found with the
following bugzilla query:http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=glibtarget_milestone=2.8
* Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
GLib is the low-level core library that forms the basis for projects
such as GTK+ and GNOME. It provides data structure handling for C,
portability wrappers, and interfaces for such runtime functionality as
an event loop, threads, dynamic loading, and an object system.
More information about GLib is available at: http://www.gtk.org/
An installation guide for the GTK+ libraries, including GLib, can
be found at: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html
Overview of Changes from GLib 2.7.2 to GLib 2.7.3
- Allow callbacks with optional arguments [Pawel Sliwowski]
- Allow to turn off the automatic long option name
disambiguation [Adam McLaurin]
- Only allow printable ASCII as short option names [Matthias]
- Build fixes [Tor Lillqvist]
- Rewrite iochannel socket implementation [Tor]
- Threadsafety improvements; in particular, refcounting
of objects is done atomically now. [Wim Taymans, Tim Janik]
* Bug fixes [Morten Welinder, Matthias, Wim Taymans]
* Documentation improvements [Richard Laager, Matthias]
* New and improved translations (bf,cs,hu,nb,nl,no)
A list of all bugs fixed in this release can be found athttp://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_id=309859,147392,310148,308886,171840,310243,166020
July 15, 2005