GDM2 2.19.4 (unstable), the "Home On The Range" Release
Posted on: 07/10/2007 08:18 AM
If you have no clue what GDM is, refer to the documentation links at the bottom of this announcement.
The 2.19.4 release is an unstable release of the GNOME Display Manager (GDM) program with the following bug fixes and improvements:
- Now GDM manages utmp/wtmp processing directly rather than using the X server sessreg program. (Brian Cameron, Ray Strode)
- Now GDM supports new configuration options to specify how the utmp/wtmp ut_line value is set. Refer to the UtmpLineAttached, UtmpLineRemote, UtmpPseudoDevice configuration options and the fact that the [servers] section now supports specifying a device via device="/dev/foo" syntax.
- Fix gdmchooser so it will start the at_spi_registryd so that AT programs work when you run it. (Brian Cameron)
- Now icons are installed to the hicolor theme and use the correct GTK calls to grab application icons from the theme, not pixmaps. (Michael Terry)
- Now the gdmgreeter sports icons in the F10 menu. (Brian Cameron, Michael Terry)
- Fix focus handling in gdmlogin so that the Tab key can move focus into the button widgets. Also fix sensitivity of the "OK" button so it is insensitive when no characters are in the entry field. (Brian Cameron)
- Remove logic that sets the default locale selection to en_US since this locale is not guaranteed to always be available. Now just let the system default to C without special code in GDM. (Lo\\357c Minier)
- Now GDM checks to ensure that a theme file is readable and reports better error messages if not. (Lukasz Zalewski)
- Enhanced Solaris utmp, PAM_TTY, Sun Audit, and logindevperm code to work with Virtual Terminals which will be available in Solaris Nevada in the next few months. Fix logindevperm code so it only is used when the user logs in and logs out. Now setfacl calls are made to allow the GDM user to have access to the sound device on Solaris. (Brian Cameron)
- Initialize lang variable to avoid accessing a unitialized memory. (Juerg Billeter)
- Fix many warnings. (Lo\\357c Minier)
- Translation updates (I. Felix, Pema Geyleg, Jorge Gonzalez, Priit Laes, Kjartan Maraas, Nguy\\341\\273\\205n Th\\303\\241i Ng\\341\\273\\215c, Daniel Nylander, St\\303\\251phane Raimbault, Clytie Siddall)
Note: GDM2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen lt;email@example.com;. Much work has been done on GDM2 by George Lebl; and Brian Cameron now currently shares maintainership duties with the Queen of England.
Note2: If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf. It will however save backups with the .orig extension first.
Note3: Note3 has been depracated ...
#endif /* GDM_DISABLE_DEPRECATED */
Online Documentation - http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/
Latest Stable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.18/
Latest Unstable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.19/
Bug Reporting - http://bugzilla.gnome.org
in the "gdm" category.