GDM2 2.17.1 (unstable), the "Now Working" Release
Posted on: 10/31/2006 09:29 AM
The 2.17.1 release is an unstable release of GDM with the following new features. I wanted to do another release since 2.17.0 was crashing out-of-the-box due to the first issue listed below. Also this release has some really nice new usability improvements and custom command support. Read below...
- No longer crash if at-spi-registryd cannot be started. (Ariel Rios)
- Now support customcommands in GDM configuration so that sysadmins can specify custom commands to appear in the GDM GUI (in addition to reboot/shutdown/etc.). Refer to the comments in the GDM configuration file and documentation for details. Also support new QUERY_CUSTOM_CMD_LABELS and QUERY_CUSTOM_CMD_NO_RESTART_STATUS gdmflexiserver commands. (Lukasz Zalewski)
- Now support for "combo" style lists, and id values of "session" and "language" are supported for displaying the session/language lists as drop-down combos. (Brian Cameron). For example:
lt;item type="list" id="language" combo="true"gt;
lt;pos x="25" y="10" height="40" width="300"/gt;
lt;item type="list" id="session" combo="true"gt;
lt;pos x="50" y="10" height="40" width="300"/gt;
- Now OK/Start Again buttons are sensitive/insensitive in a more sensible way for both gdmlogin and gdmgreeter (if GTK style buttons are used in gdmgreeter). (Brian Cameron)
- Face Browser widget and background rectangle (for gdmgreeter) is not shown if there are no users to display. (Brian Cameron)
- Help button now enabled in gdmphotosetup. (Matthias Clasen)
- Fix so that if timed user script returns an invalid user that timed login is not turned on. (Andrew)
- Fix bug that was causing %t to be expanded improperly when used in the timed login label. (Brian Cameron)
- Set authdir to NULL after freeing to avoid accessing an invalid pointer. Fixes bug #359831. (Amnon Aaronsohn)
- Introduce altfile[n] property to cater for alternative image file definition in gdmgreeter themes. (Erwann Chenede)
- Leaks fixed. (Kjartan Maraas)
- Documentation improvements. (Malcolm Parsons)
- Build improvements. (Brian Cameron)
- Translation updates (Dwayne Bailey, Luca Ferretti, Satoru SATOH, Jens Seidel, Ilkka Tuohela)
Note: GDM2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen lt;firstname.lastname@example.org;. Much work has been done on GDM2 by George Lebl, and Brian Cameron currently shares maintainership duties with the Queen of England.
Note2: If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf. It will however save backups with the .orig extension first.
Note3: Note3 has been depracated ...
#endif /* GDM_DISABLE_DEPRECATED */
Online Documentation - http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/
Latest Stable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.16/
Latest Unstable - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.17/
No RPM this time around BTW. Have fun. A spec file is included though, so you can try:
rpmbuild -ta gdm-whatever.tar.gz