Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Minor Delay
Posted on: 05/30/2005 01:26 PM

The Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 release is now planned for next monday.

From Andi Barth, Debian Release Team:


Well, just in case it wasn't obvious to everyone from looking at the release-critical bug stats, we should probably come out and say it: the the count of release critical issues affecting sarge is still going down, but it's not yet down to zero, which means no release this weekend.

But we are *very* close, so we're only pushing the schedule back a week and aiming for a release next weekend.

The only real blocker as of today are the release critical bugs. If you have any of them in your own package, take care of them now. You wouldn't want to be known as The Maintainer Who Held Up The Release, and you probably don't want your package removed from sarge, either. :) Otherwise, if you want to help us, please continue to squash RC bugs and help with the preparation of the release notes and processing of upgrade reports. We're at a point now where more hands are not going to speed up the release, though, so if you aren't already involved in these tasks, you might want to just relax for a bit and start your Release Party preparations.

There has been a great deal of interest from maintainers wanting to get fixes into sarge. Thank you for helping to make your packages the best possible for sarge! However, since we are in a freeze, each fix requires time from a member of the release team to check the package for regressions. Given the pure number of requests, this is a major time sink, so please make sure that your request matches our criterias before sending it in.

This means that, for all packages that still need to be updated for sarge, the rules are (still) as follows:

- Updates are only possible for RC-bug fixes and translation and documentation improvements.

- If your package needs to be updated for sarge, and the version in unstable doesn't contain extraneous changes (e.g, the version is the same between testing and unstable), please upload your fix to unstable and contact

- If the version in unstable already includes significant changes not related to the bug to be fixed, contact debian-release about uploading to testing-proposed-updates. Changed dependencies, new upstream versions, changed library names, and completely rewriting the packaging are "significant changes". So are lots of other things.

- If the version in unstable won't reach testing because of new library dependencies, contact debian-release about uploading to testing-proposed-updates.

- If in doubt, contact debian-release first.

- In all cases, when preparing an upload please do not make changes to the package that are not related to fixing the bugs in question. Doing so makes it more time consuming for the release team to review and approve such requests, delaying the release. It also delays the fix for your package, because you will be asked to reupload.

- When contacting the release team, please explain why you are requesting an update. Bug numbers are a must. The more we can figure out from your first email and your changelog (if any), the more quickly we can get your update in.

- If you have a package that needs updating, *please* don't forget to contact us. *Don't expect us to find out about it on our own*. Putting a comment in the changelog is not contacting the release team. :) (This has happened at least a couple of times during the base freeze; it's not a very good way of getting your package approved quickly.)

Also, please remember that we can't promise anything about non-RC-bug fixes, given the high number of requests that hit us. And, for releasing sarge, we just need to say "no" sometimes. It's way too late for random changes now; and even asking a member of a release team about such a change causes work for the release team and takes time away from working on release blockers.

To summarize again what is acceptable for a freeze exception:

- fixes for release critical bugs (i.e., bugs of severity critical, grave, and serious)

- translation updates

- documentation fixes

See <>
and <>
for comparison.

As always, it is the release team's goal to get as much good software into sarge as possible. However, a freeze does not mean that your package is ensured a spot in the release. Please continue to stay on top of release-critical bugs in packages that you maintain; RC bugs in optional or extra packages that remain unfixed after five days will still be grounds for removal from testing (and as of now, re-introducing such packages is not possible any more).

Please also note that since many updates (hopefully, the vast majority) will still be going in through unstable, major changes in unstable right now can disrupt efforts to get RC bugs fixed. We don't ask you not to make changes in unstable, but we do ask that you be aware of the effects your changes can have -- especially if you maintain a library -- and to feel free to continue making use of experimental where appropriate. Note once again that you can stage NEW uploads in experimental to avoid disruption in unstable.


So the remaining (very short) timeline looks like this:

27 May 2005 (that's today)
~50 RC bugs (~30 w/o security)
Permanent Bug Squashing Party

Since the start of the freeze, there have been a couple of rounds of new RC bugs filed, the result of which is still being cleaned up. So, the official RC bug markers have not gone down as far as wanted, but we are making great process towards release. Just a few more bugs to go!

A large fraction of these bugs (ten or so) are bugs about kernel-patch packages that don't apply to sarge kernels, and should be removed shortly. The rest of the bugs also need to be addressed in short order, by removals or fixes; as well as various behind-the-scenes bugs that are closed but the fixes have not quite yet reached sarge.

1 June 2005
~15 RC bugs (excluding security bugs)
0 RC bugs not tagged "sarge"

As before, being able to hold to this schedule depends heavily on a steadily dropping RC bug count, so if that isn't happening, the timeline will have to be tweaked accordingly. Security bugs will, however, not figure into this count for the most part because they can and will be fixed post-release.

3 June 2005
0 RC bugs

Any remaining release-critical bugs will be fixed through uploads to testing-proposed-updates or by removals from sarge.

With a final cut of the installer in the bag and the effective RC count down to zero, it's time to finalize the installation manual and release notes and to create official CD images.

6 June 2005

And a little time passes, the CD team and the FTP team take a few minutes out of their relaxing weekends to wave their magic wands, and if the incantation works right, we'll have a shiny new release on Monday.

We'll continue to post updates as the freeze goes on. For now, please concentrate on fixing the last few issues.

Andi Barth
Debian Release Team

Printed from Linux Compatible (