Debian Edu, also known as Skolelinux, is a Linux distribution based
on Debian providing an out-of-the box environment of a completely
configured school network. Immediately after installation a school
server running all services needed for a school network is set up just
waiting for users and machines being added via GOsa?, a comfortable
Web-UI. A netbooting environment is prepared using PXE, so after initial
installation of the main server from CD, DVD or USB stick all other
machines can be installed via the network. The provided school server
provides LDAP database and Kerberos authentication service, centralized
home directories, DHCP server, web proxy and many other services. The
desktop contains more than 60 educational software packages and more
are available from the Debian archive, and schools can choose between
KDE, Gnome, LXDE and Xfce desktop environment.
1) <URL: http://www.skolelinux.org/
2) <URL: http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Educational_applications_included_in_Debian_Edu___Skolelinux__the_screenshot_collection____.html
This is the third test release based on Debian Wheezy. Basically this is
an updated and slightly improved version compared to the Squeeze
* Iceweasel was updated from 10 to 17. (DSA 2699-1)
* Updated libxv (DSA-2674), libxvmc (DSA-2675), libxfixes (DSA-2676),
libxrender (DSA-2677), mesa (DSA-2678),
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome (DSA-2679), libxt (DSA-2680),
libxcursor (DSA-2681), libxext (DSA-2682), libxi (DSA-2683),
libxrandr (DSA-2684), libxp (DSA-2685), libxcb (DSA-2686), libfs
(DSA-2687), libxres (DSA-2688), libxtst (DSA-2689), libxxf86dga
(DSA-2690), libxinerama (DSA-2691), libxxf86vm (DSA-2692), libx11
(DSA-2693), chromium-browser (DSA-2695), gnutls26 (DSA-2697),
wireshark (DSA-2700), krb5 (DSA-2701), telepathy-gabble (DSA-2702)
and subversion (DSA-2703).
* Switched xrdp on thin client servers to use tightvncserver instead
* Now install software oscilloscope xoscope by default.
* Now install music tools gtick, lingot and pianobooster by default.
* The subnet-change script is now able to change all files needing a
change on the main-server when changing the IP network used.
* Updated translation of the installation.
* New Romanian translation.
* Fix security problem causing root and first user password to no
longer show up in /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat.
* Fix roaming workstation setup (Closed in libpam-mklocaluser/0.8,
libpam-mklocaluser/0.8~deb7u1: #706753: libpam-mklocaluser: Fail to
create local user during first login).
* Made roaming workstation setup more robust in non-Debian Edu
* New script debian-edu-bless to transform a Debian installation to a
Debian Edu profile.
* Adjust Iceweasel setup to improve performance when $HOME is on NFS.
* More testsuite tests.
* Make automatic proxy configuration more robust.
* Adjust GOsaÂ² GUI configuration.
* Update thin client and diskless workstation setup to work with LTSP
* Diskless workstations now run out of the box -- no need to set them
up with GOsaÂ².
* Update IMAP server setup.
* Fix login into Skolelinux Backup Tool (Closed in
slbackup-php/0.4.4-1: #700257: slbackup-php: Fails to submit
correctly entered password).
* DVD binary and source images are not yet ready.
* No mass import of user account data in GOsa (ldif or csv) available
yet (Open in gosa/2.7.4-4: #698840: gosa-plugin-ldapmanager: missing
* Missing artwork for the KDE desktop (and probably a few others).
* KDE Debian submenu lacks icons (Closed: #502192: menu-xdg: invents
own icon names instead of using existing). This will remain unfixed.
Where to get it
To download the multiarch netinstall CD release you can use
* rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/wheezy/debian-edu-7.0+edu0~a2-CD.iso .
The MD5SUM of this image is: 27bbcace407743382f3c42c08dbe8178
The SHA1SUM of this image is: e35f7d7908566cd3075375b3721fa10ee420d419
How to report bugs