Damn Small Linux v4.0 Release Candidate 2
Posted on: 08/28/2007 10:11 AM
The second release candidate of Damn Small Linux v4.0 is now available for testing:
DSL is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:
Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
Boot from a USB pen drive
Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize
* New xtar.lua. A new GUI to view,extract or process as a MyDSL extension various tar files.
* New netcardconf.lua. A new GUI to configure netcards, relaces dialog version.
* New printing.lua, called from the printer icon, provides "intelligent icon" to handle all printing needs, from setup, start, stop, or print, double-click or drag-n-drop.
* New add2filetool.lua, add2Xfiletool.lua, add2bootlocal.lua provides smooth interface for these tasks, double-click or drag-n-drop
* New switcher.lua GUI to switch WM, jwm, fluxbox, or swm
* Added sudo to myprism2, myndis, myiwconfig so they can be run from home by double clicking.
* Updated minirt24.gz waitusb function.
* Fixed cloop error on traditional hard drive installations.
* Fixed background on several icons.
* Updated "Getting Started" with more dfm information.
* Fixed missing ext3 support.
* Updated pendrive_usbhdd.sh with more warnings of its use of "sda"
* New rootMenu.lua sets root menu based on selected WM.
* Removed -zoom from .dfmext mplayer associations to better support older hardware.Download